The court can appoint a conservator or enter other protective orders regarding the estate and affairs of a minor if the court determines that a minor owns money or property that requires management or protection that cannot otherwise be provided or has or may have affairs that may be jeopardized or prevented by minority or that funds are needed for the minor’s support and education and that protection is necessary or desirable to obtain or provide funds.

If you are seeking appointment as a conservator, you may be required by the court to furnish a full set of fingerprints to enable the court to conduct a criminal background investigation and you will have to pay the cost for this. By accepting the appointment as conservator, you are consenting personally to the jurisdiction of the court in any proceeding relating to the conservatorship estate that is brought by an interested person.

Case examples where minor conservatorship may be necessary:

  • I have a minor child who is a statutory beneficiary in a wrongful death action.
  • I have a minor who has inherited assets from someone.
  • My significant other passed away and our child is entitled to receive life insurance proceeds. We were not married.
  • My child was injured at birth due to medical malpractice and will be receiving money which may
    jeopardize governmental benefits.
  • My child has a conservator who appears to be misusing my child’s funds.